Monday, May 18, 2009

Update on Coco...

I just can't say enough good things about this little sweet girl... She ALWAYS comes when called and loves curling up wherever you sit down... Otherwise? She's content to be close somewhere... Not much for playing with toys but a sweet, SWEET little pup!

I loved that photo of her so much I created a line of products at our CafePress store saying "...anyone can buy a dog but only special people ADOPT"... Those eyes melt me every time she looks at me! 100% of the profits from the CafePress store go towards saving another dog from the shelters...

I got in touch with Coco's previous owner over the weekend... What a sad, sad story... Coco was a breeder's "stock" originally and ended up in a South LA shelter somehow... Sent to a contracted vet by the shelter, she was opened up to do a spay when it was discovered Coco was pregnant, so they just stitched her back up...

The next day the shelter sent her back again to be spayed (the puppies had died in the meantime)... The original owner was called and said he wanted Coco back until he discovered she'd been spayed, then said he didn't want her any more...

Coco's second owner said her stomach was a REAL mess when she adopted her out of the shelter - between all the incisions at a time she was pregnant... This must be why Coco absolutely LOVES belly rubs and she now has a nice, neat and trim tummy!

Her previous owner had Coco for a year and said she got along with the cats, her children and grandchildren but always was a bit nervous around men... Coco keeps an eye on my husband, but he's active in dog rescue too, so Coco will come around to him too... It just takes a bit of time to relearn it is OK to trust again...

Coco's previous owner (#2) volunteered why she ended back up in the shelter... A hospice was built across the street and although there was plenty of foot traffic previously, once the hospice was built with all that increased pedestrian traffic, Coco would bark at people passing by the window when left home alone by herself... The homeowner's association threatened to evit Coco's owner if she didn't get rid of Coco, so back to the shelter she went for the second time...

I don't work outside the home, but I noticed Coco would bark at strange noises initially... Two things I don't allow here is aggression and barking, so I stopped that right quick!... A few "NO BARK" in her direction and by day two, Coco was broken of that bad habit...

Coco is just a real love puppy... I can't adequately explain just how much she wants to be loved, cuddled and held... Not insistently so that becomes annoying, but she follows me throughout the house and today I started getting kisses from her!

She likes my cooking too and as we sat outside in the back yard today, I noticed her coat is getting smoother and silkier already... As I was brushing her with the soft brush, she kept rolling over and stretching out herself so I could do her belly, then her side, then her back... LOL... She's starting to put on a few ounces already and has her favorite 'snooze' spots as well (took Bella's spot on the headboard already!)...

Nacho was trying to chew on her ears this morning and Coco had such an endearing look on her face... "Yeah, I know... he's annoying but he's still a puppy!"... She stood up and Nacho walked right underneath her, then used her body as a 'beach umbrella' to get out of the sun!

What a sweet, sweet dog this is... Seldom am I this lucky with new fosters... I thought I was really lucky with Bella, but Coco is cut from the same bolt of sweetness~!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment