Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Chloe's moving right along....

Chloe has 'buddied up' with Mouser and Max, but she's also taken a liking to the puppies' toys... She's still 'all puppy' in this regard despite being 6 months old or so... Possibly she didn't get to experience what most puppies do in normal environments... Dunno... But she certainly enjoys gnawing on Nyla bones and hard dog toys... (and my flippers on occasion!)...

More than once I've stepped out of bed to find only ONE flipper there, despite leaving TWO when I crawled into bed~!!! ;) She doesn't chew on my flippers --- just takes them and leaves, stashing them in obscure places throughout the house and backyard!... I limp through the house and backyard looking for her latest 'steal' and always find it in a new place!

We've started working on Chloe with the lead and harness... She's not loving the idea but she'll learn the fine art of the walk as all new puppers must... She's now had her stitches taken out from the spay, is fully recovered from that and runs like the wind as she plays with the others, is up to date on shots and will be licensed by this weekend...

Chloe now comes to me on command when I call and wiggles her butt to no end... My fingers even get kisses when she comes, but I am still unable to just reach down and pick her up... She's not overcome that fear yet, but she will...

Chloe sleeps with us at night and if I'm laying down, she'll allow me to go from nose to tail with pets and massages... But the moment I sit up, the fear kicks in again... The only thing I can think of is that she must have been chased a lot by her previous owners... She wants to be HERE, with us, at all times (and has climbed a baby gate to get into the bedroom one night when she dallied behind as I went to bed)... So she's 'there' but not quite yet, if you know what I mean...

Fear takes time to overcome and the dynamics of the pack help fosters with immeasurable results... Even our vet was so impressed with her markings and softness of coat (that's all my home cookin'!!!)... So while Chloe is physically ready to be adopted, she's not yet ready mentally unless someone has the experience in handling fearful dogs... Chloe is not a fear-biter, she's just got fear issues that will take time, compassion and understanding to overcome... She 'freezes' like a statue once she knows she can no longer take flight... Again, this just takes time to overcome, but she is one gorgeous Chihuahua without a doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment