Monday, May 25, 2009

MAJOR step forward for Chloe...

We've had a busy weekend so far, cleaning out the garage and getting ready for next week's yard sale to benefit TLC... We are taking advantage of this three day weekend to get everything done... We've been going in and out of the house carrying things, moving stuff around, etc... It has been a BUSY past three days...

Last night I sat down to watch a movie (and collapse~!!!)... Without warning or encouragement, Chloe jumped up onto the couch with us! My husband and I just sat there watching, not attempting to touch her and she sat down, then started playing with Nacho... And continued to do so... When the movie ended, I cautioned my husband to get up slowly from the couch and again, she didn't do that 'fear flight to anywhere'... This is some MAJOR progress for Chloe...

Normally, Chloe has been coming into the family room when I sit down to watch TV... There's a kennel on the floor to my left that has a plushy blankee in it just for her... She's content to be with us, but in that secure 'den-like' kennel by our feet... Chloe doesn't want to be left out of the action, but just hasn't trusted any of us to be within touching distance...

Rehabilitation is such a time-consuming passion... You SO much want to hold and cuddle, show them it is OK to trust again, but if you move too fast (or in the wrong way), you just keep making steps backwards and not enough forwards... If you're doing it right, they seem to make these major 'leaps of faith' without warning - but on their time line and not yours... So it is VERY hard to not respond in kind to their leap, but just enjoy and 'engulf yourself' in their leap...

Chloe's been taking goodies from my hand for quite some time now... She's got that Merkat stance that gets her 'head and tails' above the others when cookies are being handed out... In time, I'm sure I can teach her the 'walk, walk, walk' command because she's so good standing up on her hind legs...

She's completely potty-trained now, going out the doggie door when she needs to go potty... She comes inside now on command, even if I'm standing there by the door and no longer afraid... She also knows her name, "let's take a nap" (my command to let them know we're going to bed), and the other usual commands ('no', 'ssssstTT', quiet, etc.) although I seldom have to ever use the 'quiet' command with Chloe... She's just not a barker at all...

So far, the only bad habit I've seen in Chloe is her propensity to dig up new flowers I've planted!... LOL... She has now 'gifted' me three times with this one plant on the end of the flower bed she particularly likes... Otherwise, she spends her day running and playing with Max, Mouser and now Nacho...

I can pet her and cuddle her if I'm laying down, but yesterday I was sitting upright and was able to pet her on the couch... So with yesterday evening's new behavior?... She is 'right there'... It won't be long now that she'll lose that perpetual fear of being touched without freezing in place like a statue...

I'm SO proud of her!

No comments:

Post a Comment