Saturday, July 4, 2009

Update on Bella...

Bella's doing quite well... She's been re-trained to use the crate when needed and now sleeps with Desiree, Riley and Ruby at night... Her days are spent running around the house, playing 'catch me if you can' with the other dogs, and in the evenings, her favorite place to hang out and watch TV is on the back of the couch on top...

Bella's not a fan of sunbathing out back in the mornings (probably because she's so black), but she manages to find the shady spot on the chaise lounge while the Chihuahuas are sunbathing on the futon...



She's finally realized that she is NEVER going to catch one of those lizards that run across the brick wall in the back, but it doesn't stop her from alerting every time she sees one! :) What a goober!



She's doing quite well with meeting new strangers as well... Between coming to adoptions and visitors to the house, she's somewhat baffled at times by the other dogs' reactions to new people, but she's slowly learning it is OK... Previously she'd retreat and bark loudly - now she just retreats...

I suspect part of this is from her extreme blackness - both in coat and eyes, for humans relate to dogs through their eyes... When you can't clearly see a dog's eyes (because they're so dark), we humans tend to stare at them until we 'connect'... In dog language, an intense stare like this is a sign of aggression... And if you believe in Cesar's processes (no touch, no talk, no eye contact), it makes quite a bit of sense...

I myself feel 110% confident in Bella... Last week she was chewing on a Nylabone (her favorite!) and got a piece caught in her throat... I went into her mouth with my hand (clear down to where the airway separates) and pulled it out as she was choking on it... I never worried once was she going to bite me and she had complete confidence in me that I was helping her at the same time... If Bella was my favorite size and breed of dog, she'd have a home with me forever... She's EXTREMELY loving, playful and kind towards all she knows and loves - it's the initial meeting times with new people that are her downfall and preclude her from finding her furever home...

I have found none of the reasons she was returned to us going on, and now that she's been re-trained for the crate again, I never worry about leaving the house... I know she's safe and if she gets bored, she's got her Kong filled with goodies to keep her entertained in the crate while I'm gone... Bella's ideal home would be with another dog she can romp and play with - 20 pounds or larger - and/or with children (older than 6 or 7)... Bella is so young and so playful, she needs that kind of activity and interaction going on around her and engaging her...

She is especially devoted and loyal to those she loves and can't please you enough... As much self assurance and confidence as she has, I only need to look at her hard and she rolls over onto her back in submission... Yesterday I watched her lovingly lick her son's ears, then turned to one of the other fosters and do that to them (guess that mother's instinct never leaves you), so having a canine buddy to interact with is a must...

She's a sweetie alright and I will always have a special place in my heart for Bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment