Thursday, July 9, 2009

Another day, another step.... Jayda

I'm a big believer in the 'power of the pack'... My dogs are the core of what I do in rescue - without them being well mannered and accepting of the fosters, I could not help the dogs I have pulled from the local shelters! The 'alpha' in my canine pack is a 13-year old female named 'Peanut' who rules the roost and lets everyone know right from wrong from the very start! :)

Today we did introductions between Jayda and the crew... I usually do this after a new foster has been with me for a bit - once I know they trust me and realize I won't let anyone hurt them, that's the beginning... They learn my tone, the smells of our home, etc. and I can't totally explain it effectively enough in writing, but I know it when I see it and sense it... I do introductions via an Xpen in the backyard and today I felt Jayda was ready...

After we did our walk together to check the tomato plants this morning, I picked her up and carried her over to the Xpen I'd already set up... Tail was up and wagging, Jayda could see my dogs and fosters through the Xpen, they could see her... Then I put Frito in the Xpen with Jayda... It went exceptionally well... I stood by with spritz bottle in hand just in case there was any unfriendliness...

These are the times that I am grateful for the gifts of rescue... Seeing dogs interacting with each other in friendly and welcoming manners... Every dog in this house is a 'reject' that came through the shelter system and from the youngest (4 months) to the oldest (15 years), they all get along - I don't allow aggression and barking (my two pet peeves)...

Jayda has spent at least half of today outside of the Xpen which provides the safety needed for her puppies... She's been hopping freely throughout the house, patio and backyard... Periodically, I put her back in with her puppies to nurse, but for the most part, she's no more than a foot or two away from me at any given time...

I added a few cushy doggie beds around so that when she tires, she can readily sit down and regenerate... Any time I look at her, the tail is wagging and although she's hopping, Jayda is a very happy camper today... At breakfast and dinner, she ate with everyone else and that's the sense of community I was looking for... She's put on a small bit of weight already, but she was so woefully thin, she's still got a ways to go...

Good things always come in three's... Early this morning, an orthopedic vet called me after receiving my fax yesterday and tomorrow Jayda is going in for x-rays to see what we're actually looking at in regards to her leg... At that point, we'll know if there are really no other options to save her right hind leg... Shortly after that, I introduced Jayda to the crew and that went so very, very well... I opened my mail this evening and about broke down in mistiness as someone I know sent a $100 donation for Jayda, having read about her on the website...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we have good news tomorrow after the vet gets to review the X-rays... If nothing else, we'll know that we've exhausted all possibilities and did not turn a blind eye to the previous neglect and care she did not get... Let's think good thoughts for Jayda tonight in our prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment