Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Freckles - from my nose to my toes!

I've named this little fella "Freckles" - for he has them from his nose to his toes! I idly sat and watched him for some time and tried to count them, but gave up!

Freckles is not quite 9 pounds according to his records, but he's probably less than that... He's 7 to 8 years old, but that's only midlife for a Chihuahua for they have a life span of 15-20 years if taken care of... You'd never know his age if you watched him for sure...

He came out of the shelter absolutely filthy and covered with dirt and dust... And was numerous shades whiter once he'd had his first bath (which he took very well)... He spent his first few days here in a state that I call 'shelter shock'... Not very friendly to anyone and totally confused as to why he ended up where he did, I watched him in the kennel run at the shelter as he laid curled up in a corner and knew he was totally confused as to all the sounds, barking, five other dogs with him in various states of mental distress - I just knew instinctively he was a good dog and couldn't figure out why he was there or how to cope with the overload of stimulus, craziness and other things going on...

Once home, a good warm meal in his belly, a nice bath and then dried off with warm towels and blankees from the dryer, he immediately settled in on my husband's lap... Freckles is an UC (undercover Chihuahua) and it wasn't too long before my husband reported that long, deep, deep sigh of relaxing his nerves and body as he slept one of those long sleeps that comes from days of sleepless nights and days, ya know?

Freckles absolutely loves my daughter (age 20) and started following me around the house within a day or two... He's housebroken, up to date on his shots including rabies and microchipped... Polite eater, he also gets along with the other dogs, is not yappy or barky and not dominant nor aggressive so far...

I suspect he was snoozing one minute in someone's home, dumped at the shelter and figured he's been having a bad nightmare ever since during his stint through the shelter system...

He has a spot right behind his left ear for scratching that is directly connected to his foot... And he'll sit forever on your lap as long as you're scratching that spot or petting him somewhere...



And he has those ruby colored eyes that match the pink nose, a classic trait of cream Chihuahuas, but I suspect the avid Chi lovers would classify Freckles as an Irish spotted... I prefer to enjoy the variations in his coat as simply freckles, but he sure is a pretty Chihuahua if nothing else!

No comments:

Post a Comment