Friday, July 3, 2009

Chloe is moving forward, slowly but surely...

Chloe now comes up on my lap at night and allows me to pet her without that 'fear or flight' automatic reaction... I've had her two months now as a foster and it is hard to remember how she was when she first arrived here other than that tail cemented between her legs all the time, the slung-down walk she had and that constant fear look in her eyes... I don't think I'll ever forget that visual image of her as long as I live!

She's one of the first dogs there when I am handing out cookies (and usually up on her hind legs too!)... Chloe isn't afraid any longer to be within a few feet of my legs as I pass by her vicinity... Chloe was barky at first - to the point she was extremely annoying - until the day I watched and saw that the barking was coming from anxiety and not a need to alert or 'dog-talk' to anyone... It was almost as if she was saying to herself, "I'm SCARED and I just don't know what to do here, so I'm going to bark, bark, bark to relieve myself of these pent-up feelings of fear and anxiety"... You could have hit me over the head with a feather the day I realized that...

She's begun to be possessive of me now, and that's not a good behavior, but it signifies to me that she has learned to trust again... I still wonder what was done to her before she came into our lives that could so psychologically damage such a little sweet girl like this... sigh...

It is said it takes two weeks to learn a new behavior but two month to undo an old one... Dogs are extremely situational by nature, but when her buds were adopted and she once again was left behind, she moped around for about a week - almost in grief... She hasn't been able to find another kindred soul for I truly believe dogs know who is psychologically balanced and who is not...

When Bingo arrived, Chloe found a new buddy who she is developing a friendship with... Unfortunately for Chloe, Bingo is exceptionally human-friendly, so it causes her to stop and observe with almost a bit of confusion when Bingo is called, for he comes willingly and desires a deep interaction and loving bond with humans...

It is almost like I can see the brain ticking inside Chloe's head... "Hmmmm... He is actually running towards those alien people and craving those head scratches and pets???... No food involved, so is he off his rocker???... Or is it me???"...

What abuses happened to her in her past lives to destroy the almost natural desire to interact with us humans?... Putting aside the fact she was used as a breeder, Chloe has this gorgeous coat that is not only very unique in coloring, it is like silk and I'm a tactile person, so part of me is struggling to not consistently reach out and pet her so that I myself can enjoy the softness of her coat... How could even a backyard breeder not want to stroke that coat and enjoy it as much as I do?... I just don't get it... I truly do not...



Chloe really needs to find a furever home with someone who understands the deep scaring caused by physical abuse... She's not a biter but a fearful dog who would rather run and hide than confront someone who might potentially hurt her again... Chloe is 'right there' now... She's ready to trust again and enjoy the things she sees the other dogs indulging in... Now we just have to find that truly unique and special person who sees the enormous potential in Chloe that I see...

No comments:

Post a Comment