Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Update on Boots...


Boots has been keeping her tail up whenever she's out and about, but you would never know this dog is here... She never barks and never intrusive, but were she a human, you might say she's suffering from either PTSD or depression... I discussed this with my vet and she says both conditions are possible with dogs...

I mean - she's there physically with all the other dogs and fosters... She eats well, is potty trained and goes out the doggie door when she needs to, but she doesn't rush the door or alert on strange noises... At night, I make sure she's laying aside of my thigh on the couch and she gets extra cuddles and pats, but she's not demanding them... I give them, she accepts them...

This is just not normal Chihuahua behavior...

Today after tending to the yard, I sat down on the chaise lounge to take a break... Without calling her, she came over and jumped up, then sat between my legs and also surveyed my work... (smile)... Without warning, she reached up and intentionally gave me a kiss... This is a first for her...

I've spent the last two days reading about PTSD in dogs - this is one blog's content --- here is another. While I guess I've seen dogs with PTSD before, it has always been an outwardly showing of the sympthoms versus an inwardly sign... Does that make sense? Boots is definitely not aggressive but she's not connected like most canines are either... It's like my husband says - the lights are on, but no one's home...

The best we can do for now is to just give her time to get over this... sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment