Monday, June 15, 2009

Minnie goes to adoptions

Minnie didn't do so well inside a kennel going to adoptions on Saturday... She widdled all over herself, her T-shirt, harness and even leash... Once there, I had to strip her down from head to toe, get her a complete new rig and another T-shirt... Then we all did a large amount of cuddling and holding, trying to get her through her first adoption event...

Minnie is extremely 'hand-intensive'... She wants to be held and has a lot of insecurities going on inside her... She could have bad memories or experiences of a kennel... Dunno... We'll just have to work through it, for every dog needs to have the ability to spend time in crate or kennel when needed... We live in wildfire country and if you have to evacuate, you won't be accepted at a shelter without your dog's ability to withstand a crate or kennel for some portion of the day or night...

Sideline here...

A few years ago, we pulled up all the carpeting here at the house because of my husband's horrible allergies to dust and a multitude of other allergy issues... We laid Solarium down throughout the house and it really helped his allergies almost overnight... And I am from the 'old school' and am probably borderline compulsive with the state of my floors... You just can't get them clean enough for my tastes when you use a mop... But with my back, I have to make accommodations - I use a mechanic's stool (also called a creeper seat) which is on wheels... And I 'crab' around the house when I'm washing my floors...

I'm telling you all this information not to bore you, but to lay the framework for a funny thing Minnie did yesterday... She's not seen me wash the floors here yet, so the image of me riding around a foot off the floor on this mechanic's stool just seemed to intrigue her to no end!... She watched me for about two rooms - she wanted up on my lap but with all the bending over, it just wasn't practical... LOL...

She also wasn't pleased with what I wash my floors with (1 part white vinegar to 3 parts water), but she still kept sneezing when she'd get too strong of a whiff of it... Didn't stop her from sticking her nose over the edge of the wash bucket (also on wheels) to investigate... I've tried just about EVERYTHING (including products Armstrong makes) but nothing else cleans, disinfects and leaves that beautiful shine on the floors I love so much... My dogs are used to it now - they see the mechanic's stool and wash bucket come out - they head for a couch or chair until I'm done!

I had just turned back to continue my task yesterday afternoon when I felt something nudge me at the underside of my thigh... Minnie had decided to crawl inside the mechanic's stool (normally where they put their tools) and ride along with me!... It was as close as she could get to sitting on my lap and yet? She didn't have to step on wet floors, nor did she keep sneezing from that perspective where she sat...

I called out to my husband to take a photo of it, but the darned basketball game was on, so you know how that goes! ... If she does it again next week, I'll be prepared! LOL... I look down between my legs and there are those chocolate doe eyes looking back up at me!... She stayed there throughout a few more rooms and I'd finished the floors...



Where there is a will, there is a way!

No comments:

Post a Comment