Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Time out for Reggie...

Time out for Reggie means he's been TOO energetic for too long and we use the crate as a training tool... He's such a HIGH energy dog that you have to have something to lower that energy level - otherwise he'll play ALL day long and night, wearing you (and everyone else) out!... ;)

He's accepted the crate now for sleeping at night, but he'll still 'back-talk' to me if it is a time-out during the day... With time and consistency, everyone learns the rules around here... I've broken him of the 'wet willie' behavior he had when he came here (THANK GOD~!!!), but he'll still prefer to climb up onto your shoulders whenever possible... His previous owner must have been OK with this and used him as a pillow (??) when watching TV and sitting down, but I keep working on this behavior or else I spend the time with my chin on my chest and straining to see the TV!

Reggie is highly motivated with food and rewards, and with his energy level, he'd make a great agility dog... I know you seldom see Chihuahuas competing in this sport, but I do believe he has the potential to be great at it... He's fast too, so if I were a jogger, I'm sure he'd enjoy this as well...

Reggie will never be a couch potato --- at least not for years --- so he'd make a great companion for someone who is frequently on the go and active.

No comments:

Post a Comment