Monday, September 28, 2009

Are dogs like humans? (Kelly)



Anthropomorphism ~~~ or the tendency to impose human traits upon non-human things... Dog owners are often told not to anthropomorphize their pets... As 65+% of dog owners view themselves as a dad or mom to their dogs, this is a hard thing to do...

I believe dogs are greatly affected by things around them... And despite what the 'experts' say, I do believe dogs have a great depth of feelings - maybe not to the same length as humans do, but I do believe dogs can 'feel' feelings... I do know that after a bath, our dogs seem a bit edgy until they're dried off and their collars are put back on... To me, that is feeling something, even if it is a bit edgy...

And because dogs have a forty times greater sense of smell than we humans do, I always try and replace any collar a shelter dog has worn... I might be wrong on this position, but I feel that bad experiences can be tied to smells for dogs... So if they had a bad past, I get the sense a new collar without the smells connected to their past goes a very long way in bringing an abused or neglected dog back into balance... Enough of what I think about things and onto another photo!!! :)

I replaced Kelly's collar over the weekend and although she is a already a unique color (Chocolate Chi with amber eyes -- not a usual Chi coloring), I decided to do something truly unique and special for her... I hand-beaded her name onto the new collar...

Call me crazy but once we put this new collar on her, we had a difficult time toning down her excitement just to take these photos! A new pair of shoes or purse for a woman can cause the same kind of excitement, so why not a dog???

No comments:

Post a Comment