Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sarah's got a new baby... HUH?

Xena had been doing her very best to not nurse Thor for a few days, so I'd started taking over some of the feedings in an attempt to help out in the weaning process and not let him starve... But milk and food are not the only things these little ones need or want...

On Friday, I had attempted to introduce Thor to Sarah and her baby, Gorgeous... But Sarah would have nothing to do with that... She'd allow Thor and Gorgeous to play together (and had been for some time), but when she came in to nurse, she wanted Thor GONE...

Saturday night, Thor kept me up most of the night... He just wanted to be cuddled and held... He's such a little guy and I could not take the pitiful cries and whines he kept emitting, so back into my arms he'd go...

Smell is a very BIG issue to dogs and most of us humans don't think much about it... So as I sat throughout the night with Thor comforting him, it occurred to me that maybe Thor had too much of his mom's smells still attached to him...

EARLY Sunday morning I gave him a warm bath, dried him off and held him for about an hour... I only wear one brand of perfume and Sarah's very loving with me, so I gave Thor a very small shot of it --- sorta/kinda spray it and then waved him in the air through it briefly...

About 15 minutes later, I tried to introduce Thor once again to Sarah and this time it stuck...



Sarah now is nursing both her baby and Xena's, although both have been readily eating solid foods several times a day now... It's not just the mother's milk - it's more the bonding and cuddling that these little ones need... And while I'm a loving and caring foster mom, there's nothing like the real thing (or as close to it as possible), ya know?

No comments:

Post a Comment