Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Jayda's gone a-visitin' !!!

Yesterday Jayda spent most of the day with her new furever parents, Dawn and John...

I wouldn't consider myself a religious person, but I do consider myself a spiritual one... I am always amazed at people who think God does not exist, because I see examples of his miracles every day in my life... On the way to their house yesterday, I was thinking about how wonderfully God's plan for Jayda has worked out - her leg is on the mend, so many people donated towards the surgery costs that would have put our small rescue under financially, Jayda has won a fantastic home with two awesome furever parents... and the list goes on and on...

I went over Jayda's meds with Dawn, helped Jayda get accustomed to her new digs and where her bed was, etc. before I left their lovely home... As I started to drive away, I was sending a small thank-you towards the heavens for the awesome home and loving arms Jayda will now have... When I looked to my left, I saw a small covey of about 15 small California Quail running in unison up the sidewalk along a hedge in their neighborhood...

Call me odd, but in a suburban area this was an amazing show of native wildlife adapting to our encroachment upon their living areas... It filled my heart with wonder and my eyes with a miraculous sight... Some might call it coincidence, but to me, it was God's way of reaffirming his loving arms and compassion he feels to all of us that try to do the right thing, and how beautiful it can be when we do...

It was an awesome thing to see and I was struck by the visual aspects of it all combined with what I myself had been doing at the very same time! Isn't God and his creatures just so utterly mind-boggling at times?

Jayda did VERY well in her day visit considering it was the longest time she was away from her puppies and their smell... As long as she can smell her puppies, she will continue to produce small quantities of milk even if she's weaned them... So while she was a bit apprehensive when I picked her up in the evening, she had already started to form the bonds with Dawn and John that she has with me... She gets a day today to relax here at the house, and then we are going to repeat the process tomorrow again...

The puppies now have a full set of milk teeth (and collars!!!), so given half a chance with Jayda, they are now causing her more harm than good... Even with full tummies of solid food, they'll suckle at the drop of a hat, so my days are spent more with taking over Jayda's roles as food provider, cleaning up after them (whatever goes in, comes out STINKY!) and comforting Jayda when I won't allow her in with the puppies...

Normally by now, most moms would have totally weaned their pups, but Jayda has been a fantastic mom despite all she's gone through... She's still WOEFULLY thin and I can't wait to see her fill out and her coat grow back in from the surgery... Her next check-up is on the 31st of August and I'm hoping that pin might come out then... Keeping my fingers crossed because she is DEFINITELY tired of that soft cast now!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment