Monday, August 31, 2009

Cody had his FHO surgery today!

8:00am... Its Cody's big day and he and I are a bit nervous. We are driving to Camino Animal Hospital. I am hopeful that Dr. Frier can complete the surgery today after confirming that his lungs are clear, but I'm concerned about Cody being under for such an extensive procedure after so much trauma. I know that I am going to chew my nails all day...

6:30pm... I just met with Dr. Frier and he has brought me up to speed on today's events. Firstly, before starting the surgery Dr. Frier got a new radiology report to confirm that Cody's lungs were clear and check the disposition of his spine & scapula fractures and damaged vertebrae since the initial report.

Today's radiology report revealed good news about those three matters. Per the new report, the fractures and damaged vertebrae appear stable and should continue improving with forced rest. Dr. Frier will keep a close eye on them over the next few weeks and we will keep out fingers crossed!

Secondly, Dr. Frier removed the splint from Cody's left front elbow and confirmed it had remained in its socket and further splinting was not necessary. Hopefully it will remain stable because there are fewer options for the elbow. More good news for the little guy!

Thirdly, Cody's surgery went as well as could be hoped for. Both hips were treated with FHO procedures. Each incision on the right and left hip is about three inches long. A bi-lateral FHO is grueling but I have been given plenty of pain medication as well as an antibiotic to prevent any infection to keep Cody as comfortable as can be expected given the situation.

I will need to turn him every two to three hours as he cannot turn himself and to keep the incisions healing. I must assist him to bear some weight on his rear legs over the next couple of days as the doctor wants him to begin strengthening those muscles as soon as possible. His recovery will be slower than the usual recovery time for FHO patients because in other cases patients have three good legs and one bad leg but in his case he has three bad legs and one bruised one.

Cody and I will return to Camino Animal Hospital in 48hours to make sure everything is progressing in the right direction. He can have ice chips and if he will eat, a small amount of soft food tonight. I don't know if he will feel like eating at all as he is quite out of it and in pain, but I will try throughout the night and see if he will eat something small at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment