Monday, August 10, 2009

More progress for Sunshine...

Sunshine has been with me now for over two months and there's been a TON of changes in her life in the past weeks... From being a mom and protector of Gizmo, Sunshine arrived here snarling and unhappy if another dog even came within two feet of her or her puppy...

Although she probably never had to socialize with other dogs to any great extent as a backyard breeder, Sunshine has learned a lot of canine manners from the dogs around her... And she has grown into one absolute sweetheart, still preferring to sleep on my shoulder with her nose underneath my chin at night...

At one time, I felt sure she'd have to find a furever home with no other dogs, but now I no longer hold that opinion... Being spayed has radically changed her personality for the better (like it always does with intact dogs - male or female)... She still doesn't care to be slept upon, but now is willing to sleep with other dogs (as long as she is not at the very BOTTOM of the dog pile... )... She still thoroughly enjoys her morning sunbathing and I love to watch her watch the world around us... I always sit there and wonder what she's thinking about... What level of thinking do dogs actually do? Beyond just watching a butterfly float by her, what is she thinking about that, ya know? She usually has this look of intense concentration and I've caught her watching the TV (National Geographic) with some pretty intense stares...

Quiet by nature, she's joined the 'Teeny Pool' as I call them - the tiny Chihuahuas who are her size or smaller... She has begun play bowing, tail wagging - especially with Scudders and Princess... Something I never thought I'd see...

Beyond just being social creatures by nature, Chihuahuas tend to be clannish and I thought Sunshine was a bit odd initially because she didn't seem to have this trait... I guess it was all a matter of time and trust before she'd develop this unique character trait of this awesome breed!

P.S. She's also grown into being an 'UC' Chi... (undercover Chi)... Preferring to have at least her head (if not her body) under a light blankee to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment