Sunday, April 19, 2009

New arrival - Maximillian or "Max" for short...

We have a new arrival around here - Maximillian or "Max" for short... Max is definitely one of those 'million dollar' dogs, and was well named... As long as I have been rescuing Chihuahuas, I have seldom seen a more gorgeous or beautiful Chi and these pictures do not even come close to doing him justice!... Even my husband pronounced him "GORGEOUS" upon seeing Max close up for the first time!

The preferred color of eyes in a Chihuahua is dark and traditionally the fawn/buff color is the usual Chi color --- although this breed has had a lot of changes in it since it became a 'celebrity adornment'... While I'm a stickler for the head and overall look (including weight) in Chihuahuas, my Peanut has the dark ruby eyes that change depending upon how the light hits them... In Max's case, I've watched them go for light ruby to yellow amber and almost green today with the various kinds of light and sunlight...

And he's tiny - 4 pounds at 14 weeks... If this gives you a perspective of his size, Bella is between 9.5 and 10 pounds as she's recuperating from being a nursing mom... I took this photo when the two of them first met this afternoon - tails were both up as they met and that tells me friendly but aloof until they gauge each other better:



Max also has white 'angel wings' across his shoulder blades and a slightly darker demarcation line down his spine... Not socks but white 'footies' on each of his four paws, when Max walks or runs he picks up his front two feet very similar to a trotter in the horse world... While submissive to my crew members, he's not fearful nor aggressive and after playing for a few hours, he curled up on a pillow on the couch for a short puppy nap...

This is not a good picture of him, but he's just arrived and as he settles in, meeting everyone, I tried to take a few photos of him until he gets used to my photo bug tendencies (smile)... He needs to get a tiny bit more weight on him, but with my home cooking and a bit extra protein, he'll fill out in just a few days or so...

Max is up to date on his shots, neutered, will be getting his rabies shot and license next week and is house-trained already... He's not used to the doggie door yet, but we'll work on that in the upcoming week, as well as seeing how he does on harness and lead... I'm not sure I have a small enough harness for him, but if not, I'm sure I can get one at the local petshops...

As I'm writing this, he and a few of the others are playing in the family room, running round and using one of the doggie beds as 'safe'... Then they start all over again with another game of 'catch me if you can'... He's 'all puppy' and pretty good on his feet already, making fast turns and enjoying the playing and interaction as only puppies can...

Beautiful dog - I'll try to get some better pictures of him tomorrow!... I've started his own blog like we do with all of the TLC dogs HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment