Thursday, April 16, 2009

Bella, Bell-ll-lla


Around here we tend to make almost 'sing-songy' ditties with the pups and usually it is my husband who starts one... In Bella's case, it is her name and then said again with the middle stretched out and raised in pitch - "Bella, Bellll-lllll-a"... It always produces at least multiple wags of her tail and if she's close enough, a few nice (but dry) kisses to your face...

Bella was spayed on Tuesday, and on the way home from the animal hospital, she crawled into my lap as I was driving... Trying not to move too much, she rested her head gently upon my forearm... I suspect she was hurting, and I was hurting inside for her too... I couldn't help but think that if her previous owner had just thought or taken the time to get her spayed before her first heat, she'd still be with him/her/them...

I understand how inconvenient it is to have a litter of puppies and sometimes you love your puppers enough to give them up for the chance at a better home, but it still saddens me... Her previous owner must have loved her dearly because it shows in how much she gives to us as her temporary foster family... When we arrived home, the first tail wagging I saw since I picked her up occurred as she saw my crew through the patio door... They were excited to see her and she in turn, was REALLY excited to see them too!

Yesterday she was sore, but had already started feeling better... In the afternoon she crawled into her usual spot on the top of my pillow for our nap, and licked my forehead as if to say, "Yeah, I know your sad they had to do that to me, but it was for my own best interests... No more puppies for me... I forgive you because I know you care about me..."... I have a degree in anthropomorphism, I know (smile)... But even if these puppers are fosters in our home, I care about them almost as much as I love my own guys...

This morning Bella was hungry and made up for not eating much yesterday... The hair on the belly they had to shave to do the spay is already starting to grow back in, so I suspect it is a bit itchy... She was doing 'stretchy' exercises on the indoor/outdoor carpet on the patio today and I suspect it relieves a bit of the itch for her...

She still doesn't care to have a harness put on her as we practice walking on lead around the backyard... While she knows we don't go out of the house without this, I think right now she'd prefer we didn't practice this much needed skill... Now that she is spayed, no longer feeding her puppies and the litter has had their first series of shots, the risks of her bringing back something to the puppies has dramatically decreased... Previously the best I could do was rides in the truck with me (and she loves looking out the window as the sights pass by), but now I can actually stop and walk her in one of the many parks we have here in Simi... She's still a bit shy around strangers, but this too shall pass as she no longer has all those 'mommie hormones' flooding her inside emotions and protective mindset all mothers have regarding their litters...

My crew spotted a lizard on the tree in the backyard this afternoon... I think he lives in that tree for he seems to know just how high up my crew can jump... He tends to get beyond that point and then do his 'lizardy push-ups' they like to do... Almost taunting them in fact...

Peanut alerted to the lizard first and then the others circled around... The lizard was pretty confident he was safe until Bella rushed out to see what was going on... Bella's bigger than any of my Chihuahuas, so she was able to surprise the lizard in so much that she is able to get much closer to him...

It didn't take much imagination on my part to visual an expression on his lizardy face of "UT OH" as he threw it into reverse and backed up the tree another few feet in overdrive!... LOL... Yeppers, Bella is back and a happy camper once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment