Monday, April 7, 2014

Honoring DiDi

Losing a dearly family member, at least for me, has always been an intense time of soul searching beyond just the emotional pain... Years ago, I thought I had all the answers but the older I become, the more I realize I do not... I guess the more you get to the end of your mortality, the more you question how the world works... 

After all these years, I've come to the conclusion that if you are VERY lucky in your life, you will know the love of 4 or 5 GREAT dogs in your life... Your family dog was there to play with you, comfort you in times of sadness or feeling alone, but you usually didn't have the full responsibility of financially providing for them or even 100% of their care... Parents make the decision as to whether you have or don't have a dog, whether the dog stays or not (sometimes depending upon your efforts to clean up poop and/or take care of feeding them, etc.)... And if you happen to have another GREAT dog as you go through adolescent years, count yourself among the blessed folks... 

But as an adult, we are too busy getting our own lives in order or on the right pathway... Social times cut into the time we spend with our dog... Moving, changes, college, work - anything can diminish the time we spend with a dog and as such, they don't always turn into great dogs... 

Once middle age hits us, we seem to take a whole different perspective about what makes a great dog and what doesn't... We seem to finally 'get it' and realize the full ramifications of owning a dog and what the responsibilities really are... And in turn, we will find at least one or two GREAT dogs before we too pass across the Rainbow Bride...

But when we lose a dog of ours, it hits us much harder and much different than when we were a child... 

Years ago when I lost a GREAT dog I loved dearly, a rescue friend told me that God calls all the best dogs earlier - He needs them to help the other dogs across the Rainbow Bridge who are having a hard time making it across... 

So today I pay honor to a GREAT dog that I was privileged to save as a rescuer, a dog that found a great furever home, but who has passed across the Rainbow Bridge now... I know in my heart DiDi is there now with my Rogaine, discussing things and getting caught up on the past few years...

I know Rogaine is proud of the rescue that came to be because I made him a promise I would save at least one dog's life every month in his memory... He is probably appreciative of having a female sidekick in DiDi to help the other dogs that are struggling across the Rainbow Bridge... 

In my mind's eye, I can see them kicking back when their shift is over for the day and hanging out on a couch somewhere... I'm sure BooBooBear and Abby come around to join them on the couch as well...  BillyBoy probably announces his arrival with his infamous yodeling... 

But I am just as sure that ScudderButts and BeeGee were there before anyone else, claiming the primo, softest doggie bed before anyone else arrived at the end of their shifts...

The water is cool and pure, the food is amazingly good and the beds are the softest ever... And there is no pain, no sorrow and lots of laughter and sharing of great memories... And special sun-bathing salons just for the Chihuahuas who love to do this so much!

And in my idea of Heaven, there is no poop for us humans to pick up either!  No shelters, no bad dogs and only great ones... Hopefully there is a fantastic dance floor there and country music is streaming nonstop!... 

A rescue friend of mine says we rescue folks are the luckiest of all for we get to meet, save and celebrate so many great dogs finding their furever home along the way... That as hard as it is to know we can't (and won't) save them all, the celebrations of each one as they passed through our lives is enough and there is no amount of compensation or feeling that matches the rescue feeling... I have had the privilege of meeting many GREAT dogs and owning a few, so I am grateful to be a rescue person and having known DiDi along the way.... 

And so, DiDi, give a hug to Rogaine and ScudderButts for me... And for us that are left behind, let's celebrate the joy that DiDi gave to many of us in TLC when we held her wedding long ago on 11/22/10:




Love,
Linda


No comments:

Post a Comment