Sunday, January 3, 2010

GREAT news for Scooby Doo!

TLC sure has been through some major challenges this year... And at times, I truly wondered if this was what we should be doing!... MORE than once I have felt I was over-worked, dramatically underpaid (tongue-in-cheek for we are all volunteers and unpaid) and thoroughly un-appreciated...

And then?...

You get one of those 'paw-print' moments that walk across your heart, leaving memories and warm fuzzies... You realize that these small achievements won't change the course of history and the state of the nation's affairs... But DID dramatically change one dog's life...

Such is the case with ScoobyDoo... For his back story, please read his entire blog... It has been a long rehabilitation mid July until now... It doesn't take me much to remember the day I pulled him out of the shelter, and just holding him, he shook so hard he left my shirt totally covered in his white hair... I remarked to my husband he was shaking so bad, I could hear his skeletal cage rattling... And ScoobyDoo was so thin, it didn't take much of an imagination for you could count every vertebrae and rib bone down his rib cage... Sigh...

Scooby's weight was an easy battle to win - he liked to eat, but would always wait until everyone else had... I just had to make sure there was still something left and easily got into the routine of holding a bit back, and then refilling the far dish for Scooby...

His fearfulness?.... I don't think I have ever seen a dog so fearful... Initially going to adoptions each Saturday, he would throw up in the kennel enroute... I pushed back feeding him to EARLY Saturday morning so his stomach would settle... Once at adoptions, he practiced his 'Mr Invisible' routine, sleeping in an Xpen as far away as possible from people coming by...

Every step of his rehabilitation was made by tiny, TINY steps... I'd push just a tad... He'd shake and stammer through it... I'd repeat... And again... And again if necessary... Until Scooby was OK with it for awhile, and then we'd try something new...

This past week, someone submitted an adoption application for Scooby via the fax and I called them, letting them know Scooby would be at adoptions like normal... When they arrived, the first thing I asked was if they had read his blog... Blogging has been a great way for people to learn all about a dog up for adoption long before the visual and physical impressions...

I watched as the two children approached Scooby once out of the Xpen and on lead... In particular, the younger child allowed Scooby to come to him on Scooby's terms... Not rushed, not 'into his face' kind of attention... It is my sense this young man 'has the touch' with animals... And I told his parents it is truly a gift... The older young lady was kind and compassionate towards Scooby as well... I have ALWAYS thought Scooby needed a family with children to grow up with, so I have to admit I got a bit out there with my feelings as I watched the interchange between the kids and Scooby...

Home check passed, Scooby intro'd with their dog well and Scooby finally won his very own furever home - AND WITH KIDS TO GROW UP WITH~!!!... Ta DAH~!!

Took us almost 6 months to get Scooby from his 'hopeless' mindset and state to a hopeful one, and I feel confident that his new family will see him blossom into the dog Scooby was always supposed to be... THIS is what rescue is all about - doing what needs to be done for the dogs, in their time and not ours, to the end goal of them receiving the furever home they so aptly deserve and need...

Congratulations to ScoobyDoo... I'm SO proud and happy for you!



No comments:

Post a Comment