Monday, December 21, 2015

It's a Wonderful Life...

On Saturday evening, after we closed the rescue center for the night, many of the TLC volunteers came in for our "M&M"... We have a monthly (quick) meeting and then most stay and watch a movie together... 

We hold them in the Educational Corner at the rescue center... A soft, comfy corner that is filled with cushy leather couches and chairs... "Santa Don" donated a large TV and DVD player for this area and this is where we also hold our workshops, groups meet on a weekly basis, etc... It is a nice, "homey" kind of area that came to be, due to kind donations of furniture and a lot of dreams... A LOT of dreams...

This year has been especially trying for TLC... Promised for years that we would always have a spot at the mall, we hung in there through all of the reconstruction - times when we were missing parts of the roof and rain came in, ruining equipment... Other times when the steel was being worked on and sparks came down, burning our dogs and setting fleece on fire... But we believed in the promises, emails and statements that were made to us - after all, a man (or corporation) is only as good as their word(s), right?...

All along, we asked for a bigger spot when told that one day we would have to move... We wanted a place that workshops could be held so we could teach people how to keep their pets instead of surrendering them... And as we stayed in a constant state of "you are going to have to move as the redevelopment plans move towards your area", we slowed down the number of dog lives we were saving in anticipation of that upcoming move... 'Next month'... 'Next spring'... 'Early summer'... etc.

Each and every time our volunteers were asked to support or join into something at the mall, we were there...  In force... Eventually our small piece of real estate became valuable with large restaurants opening up nearby...  Our use as a community nonprofit at city council meetings was of no value after we helped push through the digital signage on the 118... And we were advised to look elsewhere, outside of the mall, to save dog lives... 

Finding a new location was not easy, and this time the location was not free... We had been doing extraordinary things with the donations we got each month, saving this dog who needed a $1400 surgery... Putting in 6 months of expensive vet care to save that litter infected with ringworm... We came to the realization we either shut down TLC all together or found a location that required rent to continue on with our mission of saving lives... 

I put it to the TLC volunteers for a vote... After all, we are a team and it was going to take a LOT of hard work to happen... Many commercial property owners turned us down, not wanting a dog rescue on their property... Others were priced so expensive, we knew no matter how hard we worked, we would not be able to adopt enough dogs and puppies to make the rent each month... We looked at 51 empty business locations around the city before narrowing it down to three and finally deciding on the spot we are today... Yes, the rent is almost $5,000 a month plus utilities and we scrape by each month... But we also have 4 times the space we had previously and both our dogs and volunteers are better for it... 

And then the REAL work began - laying floor tile, painting, moving the vast amount of equipment we have along with the dogs and puppies... It was a nightmare I will never be able to go through again in my lifetime... 

As I looked around the Educational Corner on Saturday night, my mind replayed the past six months of agony, sweat and perseverance that we would not fail the dogs of Ventura County... As I watched TLC volunteers opening 'Secret Santa' gifts, I thought about all the gifts I have been given throughout the years... 

I know if I had a flat tire at 10PM on a dark, lonely road, there is at least 10 of the TLC volunteers I could call and probably 9 of them would come out on a moment's notice to help me... If not all of them at one time!... I have listened to personal struggles, triumphs, complaints, comments, compliments and just about everything else in between!... I have laughed with and loved all of these folks, who come together with no hidden agenda beyond the desire and commitment to be a part of the No-Kill movement in our county... 

It certainly isn't to be paid or to 'dabble' in something... They all work hard and bust butt, doing what we do... We count our 'payment and reward' as the smiling faces and joy that shows when adopters post their happy photos of their new BFF on our Facebook page or email them in to us... Alumni come by and tell us how great their adopted dog or puppy is, how much they love them and thank us for doing what many others cannot, day in and day out, 364 days a year... 

We laugh a lot among ourselves... The goofy antics of Kathryn, our oldest volunteer at 71... Or other funny things that happen... 

And we cry with each other when one of our furbabies grows old and passes over the Rainbow Bridge, having been loved deeply by one of the volunteers... The circle of Life, ya know?

Loving and laughing... What a great combination, huh?... Hard work aside, this is the most incredible group of people you will find... Numbering over 60 now, it does not matter what age, financial background or education or even sex... 

I always say I have the best volunteers in the county, and I saw it with all sincerity and love... (even if they buy me puppy slippers and laugh at me during the modeling of them!  )... 

We joke among ourselves that TLC has reserved a complete complex up in Heaven... No more poop (clouds are always white, right??)... Dogs will all be healthy and no more vet visits... I requested a dance floor personally... A few of us have asked for a nice spacious kitchen that we can cook in, plus a HUGE dining room table to fit us all in once the meals are made.... 

The husbands of the TLC volunteers have already reserved HUGE wide-screen TVs, and us ladies joke that we will need tables and tables for the massive amount of remote controls required to run all of those gadgets!... Lots of green grass for the dogs and puppies to run in, and a storehouse of warm, comfy beds for one and all to sleep in... No more bills, no more struggles... Just loving each other and our fur-babies without pain or suffering... Just puppy slippers for one and all!

Who would have thought over 6 years ago, a dream of mine spawned by an off-handed comment of my husband's would have evolved into a full fledged rescue center, running 7 days with over 300 volunteer hours a week required would ever come to be?  

Think about it... Just 2,386 days ago, this was all a thought and a dream... And today the TLC volunteers have saved 2,431 canine lives... That is more than one life each day for each day of our existence... And the year is not over yet...

It is TRULY a wonderful life, just like the movie we picked to watch... Not born out of profit or greed, but just because it is the right thing to do... To reach a point where no healthy, adoptable puppy or dog has to die... Just how great is that???!!!  TLC and its volunteers ROCK... what a GREAT group of folks I am proud to be a part of!!!

With much love,
Linda


P.S.  I have to show off my gift from the volunteers... It was given to me on Saturday night as they told me I am the 'heart of TLC'... It is my birthstone and I have been thinking about this for the past six months... I have not worn my birthstone in years and I've been thinking maybe I should again before I curl up and die somewhere.   It was kind of a shock that I was given this - I had been looking at the entwined hearts jewelry the past few months as well... When I opened it (knowing I had not told anyone about these two separate thought processes), and seeing both together in one gorgeous necklace, I was a bit spooked... And so like a baby, I had to well up in tears as I opened it.  I will wear this proudly because I know it was given to me with lots and lots of love!






2 comments: