Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Kisses... R.I.P.

There are many times I and the TLC volunteers get tired of rescue - the rude people who come into the shop, the struggle to save just one dog, the huge burden of trying to keep the rescue solvent... and the list goes on.

Just when you think it would be better to just throw up your hands and give up, walk away and retire from rescue, God always manages to throw me a 'reality check' about what we do and why we do what we do in TLC. 

Yesterday I received this email from someone who adopted a 'water baby' that was on a kill list about a year ago... And I wanted to share the story of Kisses to one and all so that what we do and the passion we do it with can be better understood by the general public.

Hi Linda,

My name is Jennifer, and I am not sure if you remember me because I know I lot of dogs come and go from your rescue.  I transferred a little Chihuahua named Kisses with water on the brain to your shop back in September.  She stayed with you for a few weeks until she was spayed and got her vaccinations, and then I ended up adopting her from you because my boyfriend and I totally fell in love with her during the 2 days that we had her before bringing her to you.  We ended up naming her Darla Jean, with the nickname Binky.  Last weekend, the most unfortunate thing happened, and we lost our little girl.  We are still totally devastated because it all happened so fast.  She got really sick on the 4th of July and was having a really hard time breathing.  We took her to the ER and they kept her there overnight on oxygen.  Her heartbeat was also beating quite rapidly.  The first thing the next morning, I took her to our regular vet and found out that she had pneumonia and really high blood pressure.  They kept her all day and gave her an IV of fluids and antibiotics and kept her under a heat lamp.  By the end of the day, she still had labored breathing, but her body temperature got back to normal. We took her home, and by Saturday morning, it seemed like her breathing was improving.  But, on Saturday afternoon, her fragile little body gave out on her and she passed away at home in my arms.  I still can't believe that this happened.  I keep hoping that this is all just a really bad nightmare that I am going to wake up from at any moment.  Just a week ago she was running around like a regular puppy, tugging at my pant legs with her teeth, demanding to get fed.  She seemed totally healthy.  But, I guess it was her time and she was just meant to be a little angel quickly passing through.  I can't believe we only had her 9 months and she was only 1 yr and 4 months old.  BUT, we packed in so much life in such a short time, and I would love to share it with you.

Remember this picture?  This was the picture that Chela sent out of Darla when she was at the shelter needing to get out:



This is who she became:

We absolutely adored her from the minute we got her and wanted to give her the best life possible. We only got to have this little blessing for 9 months, but in those 9 months, we made sure she lived life to the fullest. 


She got to go on 3 vacations with us, got to go up north to San Jose to meet my family and she also got to go to the Hearst Castle.



We got one of every major holiday with her - like Halloween,


 
And Christmas, 


She got to go to the beach and see the ocean and run in the sand.


She got to go to work every morning with her dad and see all of her friends everyday and then get picked up in the middle of the day and finish the day at work with mom.


She got to sleep in between us every night snuggled up next to us under the covers.  She even had a choice of 4 dog beds throughout the house to lie in when she wasn't in one of our laps. 



She had lots of nice things and pretty dresses to wear in the spring and warm sweaters for the winter.






She got to have her 1st birthday party and had lots of people over who loved her and wanted to help her celebrate.

She had a big brother named Jonathan who took care of her and she absolutely adored him.




She and Jonathan went everywhere together.

She was ever so special and unique, and I know I will never come across another dog quite like her.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and let me share what became of her short life. You have no idea how healing this is for me. Thank you so much for helping us out to adopt her.  Our time with her meant the world to us.

Take care,
Jenn



 

Rest in peace, little one.
You were much loved in such a short period of time.
I have often been asked why God calls home
the best dogs too early, and a wise rescue friend
once told me that God does this so they can help
the other dogs who are having a hard time
crossing the Rainbow Bridge.
 
R.I.P. Kisses

Linda & the TLC volunteers

1 comment:

  1. So sad! I hope I don't loose my Bella ( Suming ) so prematurely. I don't think I can resist it would be so tragic. I love her more than anything.

    ReplyDelete