Saturday, July 20, 2013

Embarassed....

For those folks that know me personally, this is probably one of the hardest things I have to do - talk about myself or what I have done in rescue almost 32 years now.  I REALLY prefer to just stay in the background, going about my business and doing what I do best.  The spotlight is not my 'cup of tea' at all.  I seldom take photos for that reason and seldom do interviews or public speaking events.

Ask me about TLC or the volunteers I am priviledged to work aside of 6 days a week... and I am off to the races!  Ask me about the fight against puppymills or the work we do towards No-Kill, and I can write a rescue "War and Peace".   I am known for 'saying what I mean and meaning what I say' (which translates to the fact I failed 'Diplomacy 101' long ago), but I am as committed to saving small dogs' lives as I am breathing.  

I always tell my volunteers that unless it is illegal or immoral, we will do just about anything to save a dog's life.  So, here I am folks - asking that you nominate me so that we can win this year's Pettie's Award.  And if we do?  That is a donation to TLC of $10,000 ---- it is as simple as that!

Nominate Linda Nelson to help TLC win $10,000


I KNOW the rescue shop is critical and crucial to our county going No-Kill.  I also know that I am teaching the next generation of dog rescuers the ropes of how to do what I have done, and do it even better.  Most of our TLC volunteers are under the age of 30, and if this generation does not pick up the banner and carry it on, all the progress my generation has done in No-Kill will be all for naught.

When we took over the rescue shop and went from a mobile adoptions rescue to a fixed location, we wrote the book on doing this.  There is no other full-time, 7 days a week, store-front rescue doing what we do.  It takes 300 volunteer hours per week to keep the rescue shop open 56 hours.   And along the way, we educated folks who strolled into the rescue shop, expecting another pet shop selling puppy mill puppies.

TLC has stepped forward numerous times to help out in a big way --- from taking on 34 of the Yucca Valley hoarding dogs to launching not one, but numerous transports to Canada and the East Coast.  In four years times, we have saved over 1,350 small dog lives - and 12 'Pitty' types as well.  We've also taken in a few Parakeets, but that's besides the point!

TLC has raised the bar in rescue and not all rescues are alike.  But when you adopt from TLC, your new dog will be spayed or neutered, brought up to date on their vaccines, have their rabies shot, be microchipped and licensed for the County of Ventura if over 4 months.  We partner with PETCO and Unleashed, so every adoption packet includes a coupon booklet with tons of savings.  And finally, there is a complimentary well-puppy, healthy-dog examination provided by one of the local vets.  All is included for the tax deductible adoption donation.

We do this at great cost to the rescue.  We want our saved dogs and puppies to be found if lost, healthy and well socialized - and because we are No-Kill, we will keep any dog we take into our program until they find their furever home (the records is 2 years, 3 months, BTW).

So again, PLEASE help TLC win this $10,000... MANY small dogs and puppies are counting on you to help us do what we do best!

Nominate Linda Nelson to help TLC win $10,000



Sincerely,
Linda

4 comments: