Sunday, August 21, 2011

I was bitten by the Foster bug

I've always had a soft spot for stray animals. On a whim my mother would bring home a new dog from the shelter. I never knew if there would be a new dog in the backyard when I came home from school. As an adult I carry dog food and extra leashes in my car. You never know when you might need it. I've often thought about starting my own rescue saving just one dog at time.


When a friend decided that she didn't want to work through her dog Bonnie's issues and dumped her at the pound I knew I had to act. Not only did I know this dog, but it didn't deserve to die. If I could help this dog why not others?


After working with Bonnie to find a home I knew I needed to team up with a rescue group. I finally connected with "Tiny Loving Canines." I attended several month's of adoptions with Bonnie and was so impressed with the people and their core values that I knew this was my calling. Almost 2 years later I'm still here and loving it!


Since rescuing Bonnie I've fostered 5 dogs. One of my littlest, Ava, is sitting on my lap as I type. She was deemed "a biter" and not worthy of saving, according to the shelter, but I can proudly say she is a real love with a few senior moments. I've failed fostering twice, but I'm hopeful I'll graduate with honors when Bojangles & Ava find their furever homes. Yes, Bonnie ended up becoming a part of our family.  It's because of Bonnie that I'm able to live out my dream. While at the dog park today with my Fab Four (my original pack), a very special little guy that I fostered, Moe Moe, came by to visit. This was a total surprise. He looked amazing and ran up to me to say Hi. It made my day! It's hard to express in words the feeling you get when something like this happens. If you love animals you've got to foster. Knowing that you've saved a life and found them a new home is priceless. Introducing Ava & Bojangles, my new foster babies.



 

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment