Saturday, March 7, 2009

Last night...

Tucked into bed and all of us weary after a long day and many changes, Bella curled up with her puppies and went to sleep in the crate... About 1AM, I heard a few sounds and came out to see what was going on to find one of the puppies had crawled out of their bucket... I took Bella out to go potty and then found a soft towel and without touching them, put the straggler back in with their litter mates...

I watched Bella intently when she came back in and no odd sniffs, nor did she act like anything was wrong...

About 4AM, I heard Yogi barking and nudged my husband, saying "Can you find out what Yogi is barking about... it's your turn"... (smile - but it is an oddity for Yogi to bark - he's the alpha patrol at night around here, preferring to sleep either on the couch or the futon)... My husband sprang out of bed and with flashlight in hand, investigated things, then returned and said he thought Bella needed to go out again... (he is not wanting to pick her up because he says he doesn't want to freak her out yet)... So I climbed out of bed, took her out potty as he did the flashlight check on the pups...

When I came back in with Bella, he had quite a few things to say to me, all in that 'teddy bear voice' he uses that also sounds like a little boy... We crawled back into bed and got a few more hours of sleep, but before we did, we exchanged a common shared thought that this is a very humbling and miraculous experience for all...

Two hours later, I'm back up again and took her out... She goes out to a few spots and then makes a beeline back to the patio door... No messing around for her!... I didn't have a collar that would fit her, so I made one from a leash with rhinestones I had... She's no longer a 'junkyard dog' without a collar nor ID tag... We have to go do a bit of grocery shopping today for her and us, so 'Pop' will pup-sit while my daughter and I are gone...

Maybe it is my imagination or the lighting, but the puppies already look a bit bigger today to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment