Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Update on Barkley

I took Barkley in to see Dr. Richmond at Caring Hands on Monday and what a trip that was!... (smile)... Although I drive a quad dually, Barkley took up two thirds of the front seat of the truck!... And "move over" is apparently not a command he knows yet... When he sits up aside of you, his head is so gosh darn big, it blocked the entire view of my right hand mirror!

He doesn't necessarily want to hang his head out the window, but he certainly does want to drool all over it... We had a few double takes at stop lights when people looked over casually and saw that big ole head of his looking back at them!

Barkley now weighs 82 pounds and Dr. Richmond thinks he should gain between 5 and 10 until the ribs stop showing... Unfortunately, she believes he's had demo since he was born and he'll need to be on meds the rest of his life once we find his maintenance dose of ivermectin... Thankfully it is not an expensive medication though...

He's got an awful infected ear on the left and it is so swollen, he probably can't hear out of it at all... I'm guessing the infection is what has spread into his eyes 'cause those canals are all interconnected... The vet put him back on antibiotics twice a day, the medicated baths every three days, ivermectin every morning and the medication for his ears twice a day as well...

She believes Barkley is about 18 months old and a Mastiff/American Bulldog mix...

We like to buy a certain kind of treat at our vets that is only 2 calories and the dogs at the rescue love them... They come in big barrels and I usually pick up about 10 jugs each time I go there... I had items in the back seat that were going to the shop, a 50 pound bag of special dog food for Barkely, a new set of bowls for him, etc... So my back seat was pretty well full already... 

I got out of the truck and turned to open the back door so we could load up the treats and Barkley decided to jump across the back of the front seat and into the back seat --- amid all of the stuff already there!... I tried to get him to jump back into the front seat, but he wasn't having it... 

Eventually we had to half empty the back seat, coax him out, walk him around the truck and then get him back up into the front seat on the passenger's side!... What a goober he is!... I climbed back into my side of the truck and we had to go through the 'move over, Barkley... I gotta drive and you are hogging my side and yours too!' all over again!... 

He's gotta either learn how to share or how to drive!  One or the other... LOL...

2 comments:

  1. Would like to see more updates on this sweet dog..

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a volunteer, I get to see Barkley twice a week. Barkley is a gentle giant. He is not at all phased by the small dogs he encounters on a daily basis. He shows a mild curiosity toward the puppies. There is not an aggressive bone in this dogs body. Why he was left in a shelter is beyond me. His coat is coming back slowly. There are fewer sores, but still bald patches. It's just a matter of time though before this guy is a handsome devil again. He walks very well on a lead, but prefers to look around, rather than "do his business." We're working on that. I love this guy and I'm so happy and proud to be a part of his rescue and recovery.

    ReplyDelete