Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Aspen's New Journey

Part of being an animal advocate is to speak up for the animals who do not have a voice - legally or otherwise.  Society is built of what we consider stabilizers - things we can count on to be right, balanced, doing the right thing every time, etc.  We tend to just assume these stabilizers are functioning -- but what do you do when they are not?

Such is the case with Aspen (formerly known as Huera and Koda), a white German Shepherd mix that was abandoned at a veterinary hospital.   Kept and used as a blood donor, Aspen was kenneled and well fed (too well fed as a matter of fact!) as she served her 'purpose'.  Once she no longer served this purpose, the decision was made to put her down.

At this time, we don't know all the details but when the word went out the rescue community about what was going on, it pulled at my heart strings.  TLC is really geared up for the smaller dog breeds under 15 pounds and taking on a 70+ pound dog was out of our comfort zone.  I felt for sure the big dog rescues would respond to Aspen's situation and we went onto the next 'gotta save today' dog.

A week later, I found out that no other rescue had stepped up for Aspen and as I stared at my computer screen and her photos in the email, I heard my late mother's voice in the back of my head - something that has guided me numerous times in my life.

"If not you, Linda, then who?"... something I heard any time I complained about getting a chore done or something I really did not want to do.  No, I'm not crazy and hearing voices, but my mother did leave me with guidelines and principles as to how one should live their life, treat others and give back to your family, community and others.  So I knew I had to somehow figure this out and logistically make this work.

TLC has two amazing volunteers who work exceptionally well with big dogs and small - Big Joe and his son, Joseph.  I spoke with both of them and shared the email and photos of Aspen.  After a bit of deliberation, they agreed to foster Aspen and we reconfigued the TLC rescue pet shop to carve out a day-time spot for Aspen.  When these two volunteer at the shop, Aspen would be with them and we could work on her weight, reverse the mental conditioning she'd undergone and bring her back to what a dog should be, both physically, mentally and emotionally.

When not volunteering, Aspen would be with Big Joe and Joseph in their home, loved as a dog for themselves - not as a blood donor to be discarded when no longer of value.  This is what true animal advocacy is about - making it work, finding solutions and in the end, doing what is best for the animal regardless of the sweat equity and sacrifice one must do to right the wrongs previously done.

Stay tuned for more updates on the TLC blog!
Linda

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your compassion Linda. Although I was surprised when you made the decision to accept Aspen into your fold (considering TLC concentrates on the tiny but mighty chis), I knew I didn't need to worry about Aspen anymore. She would be in the best hands she could be. You never turn away the hard cases. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You folks are the BEST! And I am appalled at the vet who was going to euthanize this poor dog because it was 'no longer useful.' And its physical scars--how can a VET allows such a thing to happen? I would like to know which vet this is and start a campaign to get their license revoked. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    I just can't say it enough :)

    ReplyDelete