Saturday, December 5, 2009

Charleyboy found his furever home just in time for Christmas!

Just in time for the holidays, Charleyboy has found his new furever home!



Personal note from Linda: As a foster parent, we are always asked, "How can you stand to give them up?" and our standard reply is that if we kept them all, we'd have no foster spots to save the next dog from dying in the shelters tomorrow.  We know that when we adopt a dog today, tomorrow we will go back into the shelters and rescue another one - probably on a kill list whose time is running out.  Although you love all of the fosters as you get them healthy, tend to their medical needs, rehabilitate any bad habits and/or give them new ones, you tend to keep them to somewhat of a distance because if you do allow them to crawl into your heart, it is just too hard to let them go and be adopted.

Charleyboy was one of the few special cases where I needed to be on my constant guard to not get too attached to a foster.  Because he tends to look at you with his wide-eyed attention, I found myself talking to him more like a human than a dog.  And because he had become my shadow, he and I did have a lot of conversations as I always needed to look behind me before I stepped back fast, or if he'd followed me somewhere, make sure I called him when I left.

A few people who were interested in Charleyboy had children or too active of a lifestyle for his best interests --- and his well being was paramount because we humans certainly didn't treat him fairly the first time around!   We attempted to place him with a sweet young lady who had cats, but Charleyboy didn't care for the feline species.  And it is better than a TLC dog comes back to us to find a better furever home than for them to stay in a situation where the new owners' life is turned upside down... just bad karma all the way around.

When the application came in on Charleyboy, I was very encouraged.  We wanted a calm, laid-back home for Charleyboy... He is still very young for a Chihuahua and I could relate to his sight limitations for without my glasses, I can't read now!  I loved the conversation I initially had with Charleyboy's new potential furever parents, and felt very positive when we set up the meet & greet.  Although we had a bit of a hard time finding their home, I stood in the grass with Charleyboy while my husband found a place to park his car.  And in the darkening dusk, I looked around at the lush grass and trees and sent a small prayer Heaven-ward that the people we all were about to meet would be as nice as that spot we were standing in.

It's funny how God answers your prayers when you least expect them, ya know?  Our hearts are still SO heavy from losing our dearly beloved Mr. Sweetie on November 27th... At 16 with doggie dementia, pancreatic issues, major anxiety issues, dual hip surgeries followed by failing back hips and then front legs, it was probably one of the hardest decisions my family has had to make about a dog for years... People just aren't interested in adopting anything less than the 'perfect dog' and the three years we'd had with Mr. Sweetie were ones we will always treasure... My vet called us 'the home of the misfits and unwanteds' but frankly?  Some of these 'misfits and unwanteds' have been some of the best dogs EVER... 

Discovering Charleyboy's new adoptive parents was a spiritual and soul regeneration for me that night... No, Charleyboy is not perfect but he is a sweet and loving kindred soul that (more than most) deserved a second chance at a better hand of cards he'd been dealt in the game of life... He won the jackpot with his new family and now has his very own home just in time for Christmas!  Here he is in his new doggie bed, all wrapped up nice and warm... 

Santa already came for Charleyboy!  Thank-you to whoever was listening to my prayers up there!  I'm sure you are there, Mr. Sweetie.... Thank-you for putting in a good word for Charleyboy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment